The Committee advises the General Assembly on all matters pertaining to the organisation of UN conferences. Its mandate includes:
- To advise the General Assembly on the calendar of conferences;
- To act on behalf of the General Assembly in dealing with departures from the approved calendar of conferences that have administrative
and financial implications;
- To recommend to the General Assembly means to provide the optimum apportionment of conference resources, facilities and services,
including documentation, in order to ensure their most efficient and effective use;
- To advise the General Assembly on the current and future requirements of the Organization for conference services, facilities and documentation;
- To advise the General Assembly on means to ensure improved coordination of conferences within the United Nations system, including
conference services and facilities, and to conduct the appropriate consultations in that regard.
- To monitor the implementation of all General Assembly resolutions on the organization and servicing of, and documentation for, conferences and meetings;
- To monitor the policy of the Organization on publications, with the assistance of the Publications Board of the Secretariat and taking
into account the positions adopted by the Committee on Information and other relevant bodies;
- To report annually to the General Assembly.
The Committee on Conferences was established by the General Assembly on 18 December 1974, pursuant to
resolution 3351 (XXIX). On 21 December 1988, by
resolution 43/222B, the General Assembly decided
to retain the Committee on Conferences as a permanent subsidiary organ.
* * * * *
Organizational session for 2018
- The organizational session for 2018 of the Committee on Conferences will be held on Monday, 23 April 2018 at 10:00 in Conference Room 5, to elect the Bureau for 2018 and to adopt the annotated provisional agenda, contained in document A/AC.172/2018/L.1.
- In accordance with the procedure established by the Committee on Conferences at its 423rd meeting, on 1 September 1999, as reflected in paragraphs 172 to 175 of A/54/32(supp), and amended in paragraph 10 of A/56/32(supp), non-members who wish to participate as observers in the organizational session are invited to send a request in writing to Ms. Xin Tong Maywald, (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) and copy to Maria Grazia Bovo, (email email@example.com).
* * * * *
At its 84th plenary meeting, on 21 December 1988, the General Assembly decided that the Committee on Conferences
shall be composed of twenty-one members to be appointed by the President of the General Assembly, after consultations with the chairmen of
regional groups, for a period of three years, on the basis of the following geographical distribution:
- Six from African States;
- Five from Asian States;
- Four from Latin American and Caribbean States;
- Two from Eastern European States;
- Four from Western European and other States.
* * * * *
H.E. Mr. Lewis G. Brown (Liberia)
Mr. Fabrice Fize (France)
Mr. Abbas Yazdani (Islamic Republic of Iran)
Ms. Christine Renee Bailey (Jamaica)
Mrs. Rita Le Diffard (Hungary)
* * * * *
Ms. Xin Tong-Maywald is the Secretary of the Committee and Chief, Meetings Management Section, Department for
General Assembly and Conference Management.
Ms. Maria Grazia Bovo is the Deputy Secretary of the Committee and Chief, Evaluation, Analysis and Monitoring Unit (EAMU),
Management Support Section (MSS), Department for General Assembly and Conference Management.
The offices of staff members of the Secretariat for the Committee on Conferences are located on the
12th floor, Flex Work Space of the Secretariat Building.
Ms. Xin Tong-Maywald
Ms. Maria Grazia Bovo
Mr. Gerald Abes
Ms. Patricia Baldie