The Committee advises the General Assembly on all matters pertaining to the organisation of UN conferences. Its mandate includes:
- To advise the General Assembly on the calendar of conferences;
- To act on behalf of the General Assembly in dealing with departures from the approved calendar of conferences that have administrative
and financial implications;
- To recommend to the General Assembly means to provide the optimum apportionment of conference resources, facilities and services,
including documentation, in order to ensure their most efficient and effective use;
- To advise the General Assembly on the current and future requirements of the Organization for conference services, facilities and documentation;
- To advise the General Assembly on means to ensure improved coordination of conferences within the United Nations system, including
conference services and facilities, and to conduct the appropriate consultations in that regard.
- To monitor the implementation of all General Assembly resolutions on the organization and servicing of, and documentation for, conferences and meetings;
- To monitor the policy of the Organization on publications, with the assistance of the Publications Board of the Secretariat and taking
into account the positions adopted by the Committee on Information and other relevant bodies;
- To report annually to the General Assembly.
The Committee on Conferences was established by the General Assembly on 18 December 1974, pursuant to
resolution 3351 (XXIX). On 21 December 1988, by
resolution 43/222B, the General Assembly decided
to retain the Committee on Conferences as a permanent subsidiary organ.
* * * * *
- The Committee's substantive session will be held from Tuesday, 8 September to Monday, 14 September 2015 in Conference Room 5;
- The session will consider a draft resolution, which will be included in the Report of the Committee on
Conferences, and will then be considered by the Fifth Committee, with a view to recommending it to the General
Assembly for adoption at its seventieth session.
- The organizational session for 2015 was held on Wednesday, 22 April 2015 at 15:00 in Conference Room 5; a summary of the
session can be found on page 19 in the UN Journal.
* * * * *
At its 84th plenary meeting, on 21 December 1988, the General Assembly decided that the Committee on Conferences
shall be composed of twenty-one members to be appointed by the President of the General Assembly, after consultations with the chairmen of
regional groups, for a period of three years, on the basis of the following geographical distribution:
- Six from African States;
- Five from Asian States;
- Four from Latin American and Caribbean States;
- Two from Eastern European States;
- Four from Western European and other States.
* * * * *
Ms. Imelda Smolcic (Uruguay)
Ms. Ljilja Grgić-Stojanović (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
Mr. Hiroshi Onuma (Japan)
Mr. Cheikh Tidiane Deme (Senegal)
Mr. Yotam Goren (Israel)
* * * * *
Ms. Liya Zhang is the Secretary of the Committee and Chief, Meetings Management Section, Department for
General Assembly and Conference Management.
Ms. Jocelyn Turner is the Deputy Secretary of the Committee and Conference Officer, Meetings Management
Section, Department for General Assembly and Conference Management.
The offices of staff members of the Secretariat for the Committee on Conferences are located on the
east side of the 12th floor of the Secretariat Building.
Ms. Liya Zhang
Ms. Jocelyn Turner
Mr. Gerald Abes
Ms. Patricia Baldie
Mr. Karl Manalili