The Committee advises the General Assembly on all matters pertaining to the organisation of UN conferences. Its mandate includes:
- To advise the General Assembly on the calendar of conferences;
- To act on behalf of the General Assembly in dealing with departures from the approved calendar of conferences that have administrative and financial implications;
- To recommend to the General Assembly means to provide the optimum apportionment of conference resources, facilities and services, including documentation, in order to ensure their most efficient and effective use;
- To advise the General Assembly on the current and future requirements of the Organization for conference services, facilities and documentation;
- To advise the General Assembly on means to ensure improved coordination of conferences within the United Nations system, including conference services and facilities, and to conduct the appropriate consultations in that regard.
- To monitor the implementation of all General Assembly resolutions on the organization and servicing of, and documentation for, conferences and meetings;
- To monitor the policy of the Organization on publications, with the assistance of the Publications Board of the Secretariat and taking into account the positions adopted by the Committee on Information and other relevant bodies;
- To report annually to the General Assembly.
The Committee on Conferences was established by the General Assembly on 18 December 1974, pursuant to
resolution 3351 (XXIX). On 21 December 1988, by
resolution 43/222B, the General Assembly decided
to retain the Committee on Conferences as a permanent subsidiary organ.
* * * * *
Dates of 2014 Sessions
- The Committee's substantive session will be held from Tuesday, 2 September 2014 to Monday, 8 September 2014,
once again, in a PaperSmart format;
- The session will consider a draft resolution, which will be included in the Report of the Committee on
Conferences, and will then be considered by the Fifth Committee, with a view to recommending it to the General
Assembly for adoption at its sixty-ninth session.
- The organizational session for 2014 was reconvened on Friday, 20 June 2014 at 15:00 in Conference Room 8 (NLB);
- A summary of the session can be found on page 20 in the Journal.
- The organizational session for 2014 was held on Wednesday, 23 April 2014, at 15:00, in Conference Room 5 (NLB);
- A summary of the session can be found on page 22 in the Journal.
* * * * *
At its 84th plenary meeting, on 21 December 1988, the General Assembly decided that the Committee on Conferences shall be composed of twenty-one members to be appointed by the President of the General Assembly, after consultations with the chairmen of regional groups, for a period of three years, on the basis of the following geographical distribution:
- Six from African States;
- Five from Asian States;
- Four from Latin American and Caribbean States;
- Two from Eastern European States;
- Four from Western European and other States.
* * * * *
Mr. Yotam Goren (Israel)
Ms. Ljilja Grgić-Stojanović (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
Mrs. Flora Christiane Seka-Fouah (Côte d'Ivoire)
Mr. Eduardo López (Peru)
Mrs. Noemi Tan Diaz (Philippines)
* * * * *
Ms. Meena Sur is the acting Secretary of the Committee, and Chief, Documents Control Unit of the Department for
General Assembly and Conference Management.
Ms. Mika Murakami is the acting Deputy-Secretary of the Committee, and Deputy Chief, Meetings Management
Section of the Department for General Assembly and Conference Management.
The offices of the Secretariat staff members of the Committee are located on the east side of the 12th floor, Secretariat Building.
Ms. Meena Sur
Ms. Mika Murakami
Mr. Gerald Abes
Ms. Patricia Baldie
Mr. Karl Manalili